Also known as blepharoplasty, eyelid surgery improves the appearance of the upper eyelids, lower eyelids, or both. It gives a rejuvenated appearance to the surrounding area of your eyes, making you look more rested and alert. Eyelid surgery is a surgical procedure to improve the following treatable conditions:
- Upper eyelid surgery can remove excess fatty deposits that appear as puffiness in the upper eyelids.
- Loose or sagging skin that creates folds or disturbs the natural contour of the upper eyelid, sometimes impairing vision, can be treated by eyelid lift surgery.
- Lower eyelid blepharoplasty can remove excess skin and fine wrinkles of the lower eyelid.
- Bags under the eyes can be corrected by blepharoplasty.
- Lower eyelid surgery can correct droopiness of the lower eyelids, showing white below the iris (colored portion of the eye).
Is it right for me?
A blepharoplasty procedure is usually performed on adult men and women who have healthy facial tissue and muscles and have realistic goals for improvement of the upper and/or lower eyelids and surrounding area. You should undergo blepharoplasty surgery for yourself, not to fulfill someone else's desires or to try to fit any sort of ideal image.
Good candidates for cosmetic eyelid surgery are:
- Healthy individuals who do not have medical conditions that can impair healing
- Individuals with a positive outlook and specific goals in mind for blepharoplasty
- Individuals without serious eye conditions
What happens during an eyelid surgery?
Step 1 – Anesthesia
Medications are administered for your comfort during the eyelid surgery procedure. The choices include intravenous sedation or general anesthesia. Dr. Mueller will recommend the best choice for you.
Step 2 – The incision
The incision lines for eyelid surgery are designed for scars to be well concealed within the natural structures of the eyelid region.
Upper Eyelid Surgery
Droopy conditions of the upper eyelid can be corrected through an incision within the natural crease of the upper eyelid allowing repositioning of fat deposits, tightening of muscles and tissue, and/or removal of excess skin.
Lower Eyelid Surgery
Conditions of the lower eyelid may be corrected with an incision just below the lower lash line. Through this incision, excess skin in the lower eyelids is removed. A transconjunctival incision, one hidden inside the lower eyelid, is an alternate technique to correct lower eyelid conditions and redistribute or remove excess fat.
Step 3 – Closing the incisions
Eyelid incisions typically are closed with removable or absorbable sutures. Dr. Mueller may use a laser or a chemical peel to erase dark discoloration of the lower eyelids or address skin scraping.
Step 4 – See the results
Eyelid surgery results will be long-lasting. Eyelid surgery can be expected to correct certain conditions permanently. The results of eyelid surgery will appear gradually over a few weeks as swelling and bruising subside to reveal a smooth, better-defined eyelid and surrounding region, and an alert and rejuvenated appearance.
While, you will continue to age naturally, life-long sun protection will help to maintain your results.
What costs may be involved?
- Surgeon’s fee.
- Surgical facility costs.
- Anesthesia fees.
- Prescriptions for medication.
- Medical clearance from your doctor.
- Medical tests.
Your satisfaction involves more than a fee.
When choosing a plastic surgeon, remember that achieving the desired cosmetic outcome involves many choices. The first and most important decision is selecting a surgeon you can trust.
Choosing Dr. Mueller ensures that you have selected a surgeon who:
- Has completed at more than seven years of general surgical training with an additional two years specifically in plastic surgery.
- Has been in private practice for more than fifteen years.
- Is trained and experienced in all plastic surgery procedures, including breast, body, face and reconstruction.
- Has keen artistic judgment.
- Is an inventor and top innovator is the field of facial and neck procedures.
- Operates only in accredited medical facilities.
- Adheres to a strict code of ethics.
- Fulfills continuing medical education requirements, including standards and innovations in patient safety.
- Is board certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery ASPS Member Surgeons.
Dr. Mueller’s private practice offers elite care. We provide a highly personalized boutique like experience. Just as important as the final cost of the surgery is your comfort with Dr. Mueller and his team as well as your trust in him.