Body contouring after major weight loss improves the shape and tone of your underlying tissue that supports fat and skin and removes excess sagging fat and skin.
Following weight reduction surgery, or any substantial amount of weight loss, the skin and tissues often lack elasticity and cannot conform to the reduced body size. As a result, skin that has been severely stretched now is unsupported:
- Upper arms may sag and appear loose and full
- Breasts may flatten and hang with nipples pointed downward
- Abdominal area may extend around the sides and into the lower back area, resulting in an apron-like overhang
- Buttocks, groin and thighs can sag and cause hanging pockets of skin
- Surgical body contouring following major weight loss improves the shape and tone of your underlying tissue that supports fat and skin, and removes excess sagging fat and skin.
The result is a more normal appearance to the body, with smoother contours. This is, in essence, the final phase of your total weight loss experience.
Is it right for me?
Before you decide to undergo body contouring following major weight loss, your weight loss must be stabilized.
- If you continue to lose weight, sagging pockets will redevelop.
- If you rapidly regain the weight, you will traumatically stress your already weakened and thinned skin, causing further stress to the skin, visible stretch marks and wide scars.
- If you had weight reduction surgery, Dr. Mueller will work closely with your physician to determine when it is appropriate for you to begin body contouring.
Good candidates for body contouring are:
- Adults of any age whose weight loss has stabilized
- Healthy individuals who do not have medical conditions that can impair healing or increase risk of surgery
- Individuals with a positive outlook and realistic goals for what body contouring can accomplish
- Individuals committed to leading a healthy lifestyle including proper nutrition and fitness
What happens during body contouring surgery?
The procedures necessary to achieve your goals will be defined along with a plan for the timing of these procedures. Plastic surgery procedures that may be recommended by Dr. Mueller include:
- Lower body lift: to correct sagging of the abdomen, buttocks, groin and outer thighs
- Breast lift: to correct sagging, flattened breasts
- Arm lift: to correct sagging of the upper arms
- Thigh lift: to correct sagging of the inner, outer and mid thigh
The results will be long lasting. The results of a body contouring following aggressive weight loss are visible almost immediately. However, it may take as many as one to two years or more for the final results of all the recommended body contouring procedures to fully develop. Visible scars will remain, but the overall results are long lasting, provided that you maintain a stable weight and general fitness.
As your body ages, it is natural to lose some firmness. However, most of your initial improvement should be relatively permanent.
What costs may be involved?
- Surgeon’s fee.
- Surgical facility costs.
- Anesthesia fees.
- Prescriptions for medication.
- Medical clearance from your doctor.
- Medical tests.
Your satisfaction involves more than a fee.
When choosing a plastic surgeon, remember that achieving the desired cosmetic outcome involves many choices. The first and most important decision is selecting a surgeon you can trust.
Choosing Dr. Mueller ensures that you have selected a surgeon who:
- Has completed at more than seven years of general surgical training with an additional two years specifically in plastic surgery.
- Has been in private practice for more than fifteen years.
- Is trained and experienced in all plastic surgery procedures, including breast, body, face and reconstruction.
- Has keen artistic judgment.
- Is an inventor and top innovator is the field of facial and neck procedures.
- Operates only in accredited medical facilities.
- Adheres to a strict code of ethics.
- Fulfills continuing medical education requirements, including standards and innovations in patient safety.
- Is board certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery ASPS Member Surgeons.
Dr. Mueller’s private practice offers elite care. We provide a highly personalized boutique like experience. Just as important as the final cost of the surgery is your comfort with Dr. Mueller and his team as well as your trust in him.